Thursday, January 05, 2006

Of Chaos and Order...

Fractals
I spent all of yesterday fixing a friend's computer. Yes, all day! I was rudely reminded of the meaning of the phrase "disorganised" again and again and again...Google has made nifty business from people like these.

Now, my computer is unusually well organised, and I keep it that way. I probably border on the obsessive compulsive when it comes to keeping stuff in order, but surely everyone has to have some method of doing things (maybe not as good as mine, but still...).

What is the first thing that comes into people's mind when they download a spreadsheet or a pdf?
"Let's put this somewhere in such an exquisitely imperfect manner that it is next to impossible to find it again without the aid of a very well-indexed desktop search?!!"

The first thing that you realise when you browse through any operating system is that there are directories and you can name them. But still the wonderful utility of this feature is completely lost on them. They tend to put Momma's recipes, Daddy's IT returns and their own Project reports directly into that thing called "My Documents".
And God forbid if anyone ever changes the filenames, no my friend, a file called "10982ver3.pdf" is saved as it is!

But frankly that wouldn't be so bad, I mean you know when you go "I have definitely put my keys in THIS drawer". You can't see them now but atleast you're sure they're there. But NO, operating systems are created by God, even if you put half of your documents on one partition and the other half on another, IT should KNOW that automatically...

Maybe it's true...we don't need to simplify software, we need to complicate people.


"One cannot assign with full precision, values for certain pairs of observable variables, including the position and momentum of a single particle at the same time, even in theory."

-Werner Heisenberg

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

At 2:54 AM, Blogger Amol said...

Ah! I'm a total psycho when it comes to organising stuff on the comp.
Well labelled folders going deep into the drive, overcoming even a moron's bullheaded attempts at screwing up.

Even files are all named properly.

[ Proof lies on our bemech group pics that I posted for the meet in Oct ...hehe ]

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger VJ the PsychO said...

man all teh files i download from net go into DOWNLOAD folder, all documents i create go into MY DOCUMENTS...

I am not a PSYCHO but still i created my resume 3 times causei cudnt locate it, and when i tried to sort out my files, only 6 hrs went into it... and i found 5 different resume in my documents, all same named differently...

i crowned myself undisputed king of chaos , but i think i have ppl to share my title with....

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heyy that does sound like obsessiveness u sooo want those files to b onhand..hmm sounds very familiar no actually sounds sooo much like me

Preksha

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger kanchan said...

Was this friend....ME?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home